Friday, July 18, 2008

Relay for Life (American Cancer Society)

I finally got the adapter I needed to get photos from my camera, so I am posting this a bit late. Lat weekend I participated in the Relay for Life in my hometown, Billings MT. I've done this for the previous 2 years as well. Teams walk throughout the night, and our team takes one hour shifts. We had a pajama theme with the logo "Put Cancer To Bed." I wore my pj's and I got the 4:00 AM shift to walk.

I slept the night at the field, and when I got up at 4:00 to walk, it was surprisingly 29 degrees! Here's the not-so-flattering picture of me about to start the walk--and shivering! I was not prepared for the low temperature.


I also took pictures of the time and temperature board as I figured no one would believe me.




One of the special things about the Relay is the chance to purchase luminarias in the name of someone who has passed from cancer or a survivor. I purchase one each year for my father. These next pictures show some of the luminarias lit up. The ones with purple bands are for survivors.


The luminarias on the bleachers. I love looking at this!












Luminarias line the track that we walk, and you can see team tents lining the track as well.




The Relay made over $355,000 for Cancer research. This is becoming a meaningful family event for us.

Thanks for letting me share!

1 comment:

jillconyers said...

WTG! What an awesome way to contribute.