Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fires

Every year when I come home to Montana, there are fires somewhere in the state and Billings is generally pretty smoky. This year is extra-heartbreaking, though, because the fires are in the mountains near Red Lodge. Red Lodge is a town that my Grandmother grew up in, Mom lived there, I went to Girl Scout camp for 10 years there, and my father's ashes are spread near one of the campgrounds south of town. Red Lodge is about 60 miles southwest of Billings, in the Beartooth Mountain range.

I heard on the news today that the Girl Scout Camp was empty, and they evacuated the many gorgeous campground on both forks of the roads. We spent our entire childhood camping in these mountains. I am just hoping and praying for adequate weather conditions to get this thing contained. So many people have already had their homes threatened, and the fire is so close to town!

Here's a couple of pics from www.billingsgazette.com


I am actually supposed to go to Red Lodge on Wednesday for the day, so I'll know more then about what's happening and see first hand how close the fire is. I'll keep you all posted, and please keep this town that's a little piece of heaven in your thoughts/prayers now. Thanks!

7 comments:

Jennifer Priest said...

Oh that is terrible!! We have many fires here in CA but after the last few years it seems there is not much to burn. I hope you all stay safe.

DebW said...

Wow! Reminds me of the huge fires we had a few years ago that were started by the National Guard doing "maneuvers" at Camp Smith!
Where is that area you're speaking of?

Heather said...

My in-laws live just south of Bozeman and this is my MIL's least favorite time of year because of the fires.

Sandra Collins said...

wow - those pictures really spoke to me

Lily said...

Scary. We had some huge fires awhile back also. It's heartbreaking to watch. I have such great memories of girl scout camp. I would be heartbroken if the camp was threatened by fire.

wendy said...

Holy moly! WOW...I've never seen anything like it!

Krissynae said...

Amazing photos.