Thursday, August 7, 2008

How I earned my e-mail name....

People often ask me how I got the name jdstumble (I used this as an email name and on numerous boards). Some think that stumble is my last name. It's not. My last name is Duncan. Basically, I got this name when a friend helped me sign on to AOL years ago. I'm a klutz, and everyone who knows me knows that about me. My stories make family folklore, and are actually quite humorous sometimes. Okay, here's what I have been doing lately:

On Monday, I went to a nearby town to see a friend's new quilt shop. On the way out of town I decided to fill up the gas tank in Mom's car, because she is so generous with it all the time. I pull up to the pump, punch all the buttons (one is to pay inside by credit card) and try to get the nozzle into the tank. It doesn't fit. the pump starts beeping at me loudly, but I am so focused on getting that darn nozzle into the tank, that I ignore it. I finally realize that I am attempting to use the diesel. Then I begin using the correct nozzle, but it was still beeping loudly and won't stop. Finally the attendant (who saw the entire fiasco) came out with a smirk to fix the pump. I filled the tank. As I was replacing the nozzle, gas went everywhere, all over my hands too.

I went into the station (half gas station and half hardware store) and went straight back to the bathroom to wash the gas off my hands. As I was scrubbing, a man came through the door. Oops, I was in the men's room! a few guys saw me leave, and I ran to the front to pay. As I set down my purse to pull out my wallet, I knocked everything that was on the counter off. The same attendant that helped me at the pump got a giggle out of that one, and I proceeded to clean up my mess, pay and leave.

Needless to say, this story has received lots of laughs in the family.

Okay, now for the latest: This evening I got a call from my sister in law in Denver. I am currently in Billings, MT and I am supposed to fly to Denver on Aug. 25 to catch a flight back to NYC the next day. Coming out here I drove up from Denver with my uncle, so this Billings-Denver flight is a one way. Only, I booked it backwards. Yes, back-asswards!! I booked and paid for a non-refundable flight from DENVER to BILLINGS instead. And I am not even blonde!!! Go figure. I'll decide what to do about that tomorrow.

That's it for now--hope you got a few laughs, too.

Love,

JDSTUMBLE

5 comments:

Colleen said...

OK, I have to admit that I'm exhausted after a very long night with my son who's recovering from a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy and you certainly did give me a smile and a chuckle this morning! Thanks!! I love people who understand themselves and are just fine with it! I hear ya!

Have a fabulous day!

Angela said...

That is such a cute store! And good luck with the airline!

twinsand2boys said...

What a fun story. LOL...make me smile. That sux about the ticket though. Hope they will work something out with you for that one.

Unknown said...

OMG that is so funny -- thank you for sharing those stories!

Jennifer Priest said...

Hey There Janet!! Thanks for stopping by my blog---you won one of my apples I was giving away--how shall I send it??