Thursday, August 21, 2008

FED-EX Fiasco--consider yourself warned!!

Wow, what difficult time I've had with Fed Ex. I was hoping to deal with this issue through more traditional methods, but they didn't work. It's my hope that someone out there might see this post and be able to help me to recover my money from this company. Also, let it serve as a BEWARE as you prepare for holiday shipping!

Here's the story:

July 1--I mailed a large box to my Montana address. I sent stuff I had collected for gifts as well as some scrapbook supplies I intended to use over the summer. I sent them through one of those independent shippers (I won't name the because they are innocent in all of this) and Fed-Ex was the cheapest way to go. I was guaranteed that the box would arrive by July 8 (to take into account for the holiday) or my shipping would be refunded.

July 8--No box arrived so I called the 1-800 number for Fed Ex. After many attempts so reach a human being, I was told that it was no problem, the shipping would definitely be refunded and to please call back when the package arrived to get that started.

July 9--Box arrived, and it was damaged. The delivery man carried it to my door, I signed, he turned to walk away but I called him back to show him there was a big hole in the box. He said, "oh, yeah, I saw that. Let me record that." Here are the pictures:

Later that day (July 9) I called the number again to get the refund and claim process started. I spoke to someone in customer service that said they were putting in the claims, and that I should call back in a few days to check on it.

July 16--Called again (this time I learned of a new way to call and get right to humans!!!!). I spoke with a woman named Earlene Brockley. She said that the call was being recorded, and then proceeded to help me. She took all my information (I had lost the tracking number at this point) and that the checks--one for a shipping refund ($70.00) and one for my claim ($50.00) would be sent to me. I explained that I was in Montana for the summer, and she took down that address. She said she'd put in the claims, and that someone would be contacting me in a few days to let me know the status. I explained that I had already had claims put in, but she did not see any and said she'd take care of it.

By this time I am beginning to understand that this might be a long process, but still am hopeful.

July 21--Called again and spoke to Lisa Wood. She was very rude and continuously interrupted me. She explained that the shipping refund and claim for the hole were 2 different processes (DUH!!) and she told me that in total 6 times. She then told me that the insurance claim would be sent to me in Montana, and the shipping would be sent to the shipper. She said I'd have to get it back from them. I asked when both the shipper and I could expect to see anything and she rudely told me she didn't know, but I had to be patient. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. Lisa said that a supervisor would tell me the same thing, so I didn't need to speak to anyone. I demanded to, and was put through to Paulette.

Paulette was not very nice either, but at least she listened. She then repeated that these were 2 different processes (again DUH!!). She said that both would be sent to the shipper in 4 weeks. I told her what Lisa said, and Paulette basically said she did not know, but had no control over what was said. I said, "you are supervisor, don't you have a hand in training? You'd think everyone there would be on the same page." Paulette then told me to stop telling her how to do her job (someone needs to!!). I was still confused, but ended the call. Later July 21, I called again and spoke to Eddie and told him that in the confusion I had forgotten to leave contact information. He put me on hold for 19 1/2 minutes (seriously, I timed it) and then took down my Montana address. He did not know anything about claims.

At this point I gave up for awhile as I had some trips planned and wouldn't be anywhere near a phone or Internet.

Fast forward to today (August 21). I called again just to check the status of the claim. I spoke to a kind young lady named Jessie Mora. She informed me that in fact the claim check for the damaged box had been processed on July 17, and sent to my Montana address. This was BEFORE my last call to them. I have not received that check. She further informed me that there is no record of a claim for the shipping refund. WHAT??!? All I called for was to see if the shipper had received the check as the owner said he had not. Now she called claimed to put it through in express, so that there would be a 72 hour turn around. She also knew nothing about when or if the claim was actually mailed. I was finally referred to a supervisor who was out to lunch. I left her a voice mail and have not heard back.

This is so frustrating. At this point I am only trying to get what is rightfully owed to me. I can't give up because this is actually not a small amount of money. Please be forewarned that FED-EX has horrible customer service. BEWARE.

Thanks for reading!

Janet

8 comments:

Heather Bares said...

wow, what a mess!!! I hope you get it resolved soon!

muirwoodsue said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Sounds like such a fiasco. It's amazing that this kind of stuff goes on. I hope everything gets worked out soon.
Sue (2peas)

Vickilyn said...

This is seriously so wrong it isn't even funny!!! I have had similar problems with UPS too, so it's not just Fedex!

Vicki
SO

Sarah Coggins said...

What a nightmare! There is hardly any good customer service to be found anymore. Somewhere along the way we've lost the "customer is always right." Hope you can eventually get it resolved.

Lily said...

Thanks for the heads up. i will definitely use a different company for my shipping needs. Sorry you have to deal with this kind of thing. I just hate that helpless feeling you get when people forget how important cs is.

Unknown said...

oh gosh I would be livid - it is so frustrating you get the runaround! Hope it works out!

Heidi Bound said...

Hey Janet,
What a drag. I am so sorry you went through all of this. Not exactly what you want to be doing when you are on SUMMER BREAK! Other than that, I hope you are well. I look forward to stamping with you soon! Hugs, Heidi :)

Angie said...

UGH! I feel your pain. I as well have had trouble in the past, but with UPS. I DID get my issue solved but not until a month had passed. These shipping companies are good....when everything goes well...but it stinks when it doesn't. I hope you get everything worked out soon!